Over 30 humanitarian travelers joined our recent Cruise4Haiti, a pioneering voluncruise that raised significant funds and in-kind donations for charities assisting Haiti as well as provided aid to children in all three ports of call.
Our Cruise4Haiti group included the founders of three non-profit organizations, a doctor, a lawyer, humanitarians, families and teens, and a wide variety of travelers committed to giving back to others. In addition to group activities such as making holiday cards for orphans and assembling gift bags, the Cruise4Haiti cruisers enjoyed all of the fun shows and entertainment that Royal Caribbean’s ships offer their guests. We even came up with an event of our own – a benefit concert open to the entire ship.
Cruise4Haiti’s many accomplishments included:
* With the help of Royal Caribbean, delivered 6 pallets of aid to Haiti to benefit For Haiti With Love’s medical clinic, orphanage and food bank projects in Cap Haitien. Brought donations of food, medicines, school supplies, individual gift bags and 200+ personalized cards, toys, sports equipment, and clothing for 50 orphans and more than 500 needy children and their families. Our group was the first cruise passenger group to assist For Haiti With Love’s projects.
* Delivered 33 individual Christmas gift bags, over 100 personalized cards, and over 120 pounds of clothing, toys, stuffed animals, school supplies, medicines, sports equipment and toiletries to the St. Maarten Orphanage & The I Can Foundation. Our group was the first cruise ship or airline group ever to visit the orphanage. One group member is beginning the adoption process for one of the young children. In addition, our visit forged connections for this orphanage that will result in future visits and aid.
* Delivered over 75 pounds of Christmas gifts, infant & toddler clothing, stuffed animals, toys, books, medicines and baby items to La Casa Cuna de San Juan Orphanage. Our group was the first cruise ship group to visit this orphanage.
* Held benefit concert for the entire ship and raised money for our charities.
* Raised over $5500 in cash donations for our two charities, Airline Ambassadors and For Haiti With Love.
* Raised over $25,000 in in-kind donations for Airline Ambassadors and For Haiti With Love.
* Generated well over 3 million impressions through articles, blog posts and social media – thus significantly increasing awareness of opportunities to give back on a cruise (voluncruising), the outstanding humanitarian work of For Haiti With Love and Airline Ambassadors, Royal Caribbean’s cruise options and its significant ongoing support for Haiti, and the continuing needs of the Haitian people.
* Created and executed a high-profile special event mission for Airline Ambassadors, resulting in the launch of a new line of outreach voluncruise service programs at sea.
We organized the Cruise4Haiti after January’s earthquake to raise awareness of Haiti’s needs and help children and families in Haiti and the Caribbean. After many hundreds of hours of work – mission accomplished! Special thanks to all of you out there who supported our cause. Your generous assistance and heartfelt support made this project a success.